Thursday, June 9, 2011

Discipline


This is Jermaine, we call him "J" or "J.J.". He's six years old and comes from a house where we get about seven or so kids every day. He came on Monday, and although he was fun and sweet, he would NOT listen or follow the rules. He just wanted to play. Kacie and I got really close to taking him home or suspending him for the next day. We told him that he better change his behavior for tomorrow (Tuesday) or he WOULD be suspended. But come Tuesday, he was still acting up. So Kacie took him home before we even circled up. He cried and cried. Kacie explained to him and his mom that she loved him and wanted him to come back, but he needed to behave better. On Wednesday, I went to pick up kids on his street, including his house. He stood at the door the whole time his siblings/cousins were coming out. He was quiet and respectful, and he let me know how many more were coming. I told him I couldn't wait to see him tomorrow! Today, Thursday, he was allowed to come back. Let me tell you, that boy was sweet as can be! He helped me lead songs and played with me like he did on Monday, but he stayed attentive in his group and caused literally NO problems. This is the perfect example of discipline. Teams often don't like it when we send them home or suspend them. But they don't understand; they only have to be here five days and WE have to be here all summer. They think it's mean, but the things is, these kids WANT to be at Bible Club. It's where there friends are, but more importantly, it's where they're getting appropriate love and attention. I don't think J will cause us another problem all summer.

2 comments: